Tip: These lanterns actually look pretty good lining a walkway.
What you'll need:
- a gallon milk jug (plastic and washed clean)
- a permanent marker
- craft or hobby knife (or a pocket knife)
- a string of low-watt clear holiday bulbs
- Have your kids draw spooky faces on the milk jug(s) with the permanent marker. Tip: If you leave the cap on the jug, the jug won't dent!
- Parents: take a craft knife and cut a silver dollar sized hole in the back of the jug.
- Put the lights inside the jug (if you're using multiple jugs you can place them near each other and string the lights between them/inside them) and plug them in (or turn them on if battery operated)
You can read some fun NC Ghost Stories if you click here. Kids can also create their own ghost stories at this site.
You can read about the history of the Jack O' Lantern if you click here.